Banner 1

What does PEDS offer?

PEDS offers services for those with Anorexia, Bulimia, Binge Eating Disorder (where the individual does not meet the criteria for the local NHS secondary care eating disorder team- adult or children and young people -CAMHS) or those at risk of these eating disorders, experiencing symptoms which affect quality of life.

We recognise that contacting us is a huge step in a person’s recovery and accessing any form of help can be daunting. We will however always ensure you are treated with respect and maintain confidentiality (on a need to know basis) with a focus on helping you to manage your symptoms and improve your quality of life.

Our first step will be to offer you an assessment where we will determine with you what kind of support may be useful. We will then help you to think about a recovery plan and identify the next steps. We also recognise that family support is key and will be happy to work with and support parents, carers, partners, siblings and any other significant person in your life.

We will also liaise with your GP if necessary to ensure medical reviews and your physical health will remain the responsibility of your GP.

Where there is a dependency on drugs / alcohol, PEDS would liaise collaboratively with the relevant teams.

Our services:

  • We offer initial assessments which can be arranged via our self referral (see contact page) or through a professional ie. GP, school nurse etc. We also work closely with CAMHS, the hospitals, CMHTs and the NHS adult eating disorder service
  • Devise a treatment plan which involves work around acknowledging and understanding the eating disorder, psycho education, goal setting, challenging eating disordered thoughts, motivational work, meal support and meal exposure, body image work, family work and if required, support in the home (there may be a fee for these services)
  • Provide a signposting service
  • Offer training packages to GPs, school, colleges and other organisations (please contact us to discuss requirements ).
  • NEW: PEDS now offer a support group to our Cambridgeshire service users, specifically for those suffering from bulimia.

To learn more about PEDS, you can watch our promotional film by clicking here

Please note, we are not currently able to offer a service for those experiencing Avoidant Restrictive Food Intake Disorder (ARFID) and would recommend making an appointment with the GP for monitoring of health, alongside a referral to a dietician and a referral to the NHS Cambridgeshire & Peterborough Talking Therapies for the anxiety associated with this (if over 18) and a GP / professional referral to CPFT Younited YOUnited | CPFT NHS Trust for those under 18.

You may find some useful resources via the following websites: